Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Steelhead Adventure

 Upstream view of perfect swing water

 The campground next to the ocean

 Where river meets the sea

 Sun setting over the Pacific

 Dime bright

 Small but powerful

 Chrome!

Shane Anderson (northforkstudios.net) with a fresh from the salt chromer.

With the lackluster winter that we have been having I was not expecting to get up north for a steelhead trip this winter. Finally, the rains came and, after the deluge, the rivers dropped into shape. I decided to head to the Lost Coast for a steelhead adventure. It was great to reconnect with an old friend and make some new ones. I had the distinct pleasure of sharing some water and a few campfires with Shane Anderson, a film maker documenting the plight of wild steelhead. Shane's film Wild Reverence is in the final stages of production and should be released in the very near future. Please check out www.northforkstudios.net for more info about Shane and his films.

I fished for 5 days and went without hooking a fish. I was refreshed by the ocean air and the time spent with passionate fishermen swinging my favorite river that will remain unnamed. Just seeing a few of these wild fish in person was enough for me. Sometimes it isnt about the catching...

1 comment:

  1. Camped at that spot last summer before hiking the Lost Coast Trail. Amazing place.

    ReplyDelete