Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Butt Lake Hex Hatch





I had an opportunity to fish the Hexagenia hatch last week at Butt Lake and I was not dissapointed.








I caught this 23" brown on a nymph pattern that I tied based on one I found in an older Umpqua Feather Merchants catalogue. This fish hit like a freight train and the fight was what I have been looking for all summer.

This Hex cripple was found near shore just before the hatch started in earnest.These are BIG bugs and the fish just hammer on them. Unfortunately the hatch is short lived, but it is something to behold!



I fished for two evenings landed a total of 3 fish. One on each of the patterns tied for this trip including a foam bodied dun pattern and a foam emerger.I hooked four other fish that I lost or broke off and missed as many other grabs.I am itching to get back before the hatch ends, but I don't know if it will be possible. If not, there is always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment